SLOW COOKER POT ROAST
Pot roast is the ultimate winter comfort food. Flavoured with hearty vegetables, garlic, thyme, and rosemary, it’s hard to go wrong with this easy “forget about it all day” slow cooker meal. Serve with your favourite veggies – you’ll want to soak up every bite of this delicious gravy! This recipe is easily doubled for a crowd, and leftovers are perfect for stocking your freezer.
Serving Size: Cooked Beef (115g) + approx. ½ cup sauce + ¼ cup veggies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 6 Hours
Nutrition Facts: 332 calories / 40g protein / 13g carbs / 12.5g fat
- 1 2.5 lb (1.1kg) beef chuck, blade or Bolar roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions (575g), peeled and quartered
- 4 whole carrots (435g), peeled (if preferred) and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 stalks of celery (225g), chopped into 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup beef broth (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons (30g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish: fresh rosemary (optional)
Special Equipment: 5.5 Litre slow cooker (if unavailable, see notes below for alternative)
- Heat canola oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet over high heat. Season the roast with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Sear the roast until browned on all sides (avoid moving meat between turns for maximum browning). Remove meat from pan and place in the slow cooker.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the hot pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes over high heat, stirring once or twice, until some vegetables start to get a dark brown sear. Remove from the pan and place on top of the meat.
- In a measuring cup, mix the beef broth and tomato paste and pour into the pan to deglaze. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour over the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the dried rosemary and thyme over the pot roast.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender and shreds easily with a fork.
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, use a ladle to remove about 2 cups of drippings and vegetables from the slow cooker. Place in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return to slow cooker and stir well.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve sliced pot roast over Mashed Root Vegetables, rice, cauliflower rice, mashed potatoes or mixed green veggies. Top with the pot roast vegetables and gravy.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Instead of the dried herbs, you can also use fresh rosemary and thyme (about 2 sprigs each), or omit if unavailable.
- Cooking time may depend on size and shape of roast, so start checking the meat after 4 ½-5 hours of cooking.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, place all ingredients into a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot, cover tightly, and cook in the oven at 150deg (No fan) for 3-4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.